<Hakka Yam Abacus 客家算盘子> as its name, it's a Hakka cuisine which Hakka ethnic believes having this dishes, they would be skilled in using abacus (An ancient Chinese calculating tool, still practiced in some traditional Chinese business.). As my honey a Hakka ethnic and my mum always bought me the dishes when I was little, since then I'm kinda fond of it even though I ain't a Hakka. It's quite easy to prepare the filings, but making the yam abacus is time-consuming.
Ingredients ( For Abacus )
600g Yam (cut into cubes)
300g Tapioca flour
2 tbsp Cooking oil
1/2 cup Water (if needed)
1 tsp Salt
Ingredients ( For Fillings )
3 tbsp Dried prawns (soaked)
3 tbsp Dried squid shreds (soaked)
3 pieces Mushrooms (soaked and shredded)
2 tbsp Black fungus (soaked and shredded)
300g Minced meat (pork or chicken)
4 tbsp Cooking oil
1/2 tbsp Garlics (chopped)
1/2 tbsp Shallots (chopped)
1 tbsp Fish sauce
1 tsp Dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Sesame oil
1 tbsp Chicken stock granules
1/2 tsp Salt (as preference)
1/2 cup Water
- Put the yam cubes into the steamer and steam until soft.
- Take out from steamer and mash finely.
- Add 1 tsp salt into tapioca flour and mix with mashed yam.
- Add some boiling water if needed and knead into a pliable dough.
- Divide dough into small portion and form into abacus-shaped.
- Cook the abacus into the boiling water until they float up.
- Rinse into the cold water.
- Drain and add 2 tbsp of cooking oil. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat up wok with 4 tbsp cooking oil.
- Saute chopped garlics and shallots until fragrant.
- Add dried prawns and dried squid shreds stir fry until fragrant.
- Add minced meat, mushroom shreds and black fungus shreds and stir fry until aromatic.
- Add all the seasonings and bring to boil.
- Lastly add in yam abacus and stir fry until dry.
- Dish and serve hot.
Prepare some dried sambal which is a great match with <Fried Yam Abacus>. Recipe of preparing Sambal, click here.
Add the sambal as desire and mix with the yam abacus, tastes even better.