I started to love this Thai appetizer < Larp Ped > ever since I've had it during my 10th Anniversary Honeymoon at Villa Nalinnadda, Koh Samui, Thailand ( Click Here ). < Larp Ped > literally "Ped" means duck and "Larp" is kind of Thai food from Northeastern part of Thailand. It tastes spicy with chili, mint leaves & lime juice. Serve in craving cucumber makes it so crunchy and juicy once you bite. It spicy, slightly sour, tasty duck minced meat match perfectly to one another. Extremely appetizing. I have tried to make it using my own recipe which using chicken minced meat instead of duck, however it practically has the same texture and taste as what I had in Koh Samui ( according to honey ^^ ).
3 Cucumbers ( peeled )
500g Minced meat ( it may optionally use chicken. pork or duck )
10 Chili padi ( chopped, may lessen the amount of chili padi or use normal red chili )
2 tbsp Mint leaves ( chopped )
5 bulbs Shallots ( chopped )
1 tbsp Garlic ( chopped )
1 stalk Lemon grass ( chopped )
1 Lime ( extract juice )
2 tbsp Cooking oil
2 tbsp Dark soy sauce
2 tbsp Oyster sauce
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Chicken stock
1.5 tsp Salt ( as preference, may add more if like to be more salty )
1 tsp Sugar ( taste before add, may skip if too sweet )
- Peel the cucumber, and cut into 1-2 inches long.
- Dig out the pulp with teaspoon and make a deep hole without piercing through.
- Soak them into a bowl with ice water in order to be more crunchy texture.
- Set aside.
( p/s: The cucumber I pared as the photos shown below was quite thick, anyway it has been trimmed to be more thinner later on. As my opinion, the more thinner the cucumber is trimmed, the dishes becomes more tastier ).
- Heat up the wok with 2 tbsp of cooking oil.
- Sauté chopped garlic, shallot and lemon grass until fragrant.
- Add chopped chili padi / red chili and minced meat.
- Stir fry until cooked.
- Add all the seasonings and stir fry. Taste it, may add more sugar or salt as your preferences.
- Pour in the lime juice before turn off the stove, and have a quick stir.
- Stuffed the cucumber with a spoonful of mincemeat as the picture shown below.
- The Thai appetizer < Larp Ped > is ready to be served.